Favorites

Lenmeo's 5-star-favorites book montage

Ghostland
Thirteen Reasons Why
Mockingjay
Divergent
Before I Fall
Delirium
Room
Matched
Crescendo
Hush, Hush
The Dark and Hollow Places
The Sky Is Everywhere
Stolen: A letter to my captor
The Maze Runner
If I Stay
The Lightning Thief
My Sister's Keeper
The Love We Share Without Knowing
The Forest of Hands and Teeth
A Perfect Darkness


After the Book's Favorite Books »
}

Lenmeo's Best Loved Quotables

Can't Find What You Are Looking For? See If It Is Hiding In Here Somewhere (-:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Matched By Ally Condie




Purchased the Hardcopy
Borrowed the Audio Book from my library
Published November2010 by Dutton Juvenile                      
384 pages
5 Stars

Blurb from Goodreads:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I usually start out with a bit of a summary in my own words, but I am thinking that the Goodreads version is really good without me adding to it.

I first read this book when it debuted last year and devoured it in 3 days.  I just finished listening to the audio book and I still feel the same way I did when I read it. I absolutely loved everything about it. The world-building had me imagining all kinds of crazy things. The characters were very believable and you just felt like you were a part of the story as you read on. From the beginning I was caught up in the anxiousness of getting ready for the Matching Ceremony and imagining what Cassia's dress looked like and how incredible it was that Xander, her life-long best friend, was truly her perfect match.  In the middle, as Ky and Cassia were getting to know the story of each other on the hill during "hiking". Also when Cassia discovers that the truths that she has been fed all her life may not be truths that she has to follow afterall, that ultimately the only person able to make choices for her is herself. At the end when Cassia's parents show their unconditional love for their child by granting her a way to continue on with her story. 

I am an emotional reader. I love books that grab at my emotions and take them for a spin.  I love being able to connect with characters and their thoughts (regardless of whether I agree with the choices or not) and feel what they felt.  Not all books can do this for me.  Ally Condie made it very easy for me to get lost in the Society that Cassia, Xander and Ky are a part of.  Although I know that this dystopian type of a world is a bit of a stretch, I am easily lost in the idea of a world where the people have no choices, and everything is spelled out for you.  I loved following Cassia as she discovered that  just because a path has been chosen for you, it does not mean that you are obligated to follow. While I did not agree with more than a couple of the choices that Cassia made, I loved that I was able to feel where her choices came from and why those choices were important to the story and the Society that she lives in. 

I give this book 5 Stars.
Lenmeo
After The Book

2 comments:

Deadlykitten said...

I have this book on my TBR great review.

Annmarie Best books http://bestbooks1.blogspot.com/

Lenmeo said...

Thanks Annemarie. I really appreciate your feedback. I completely recommend Matched, it is a great read (-:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com
Parajunkee Design